Three more lineside structures on the Isle of Man Steam Railway have recently been added to the Protected Buildings Register, by reason of their important architectural and historical significance. This follows submission by the Supporters' Association of a number of building registration proposals to the Government's planning department in recent years, with a view to helping conserve wider Manx steam railway heritage and social history. The three new protected structures are:
The crossing Gate House at Ballasalla Station.
Originally built during the 1880's to the same design as the gatehouses at The Level and Four Roads, the Ballasalla Gate House was extended by the Isle of Man Railway Company as late as 1962 to accommodate a ship's wheel with which to operate mechanically the swing gates and observe the road. This is the sole example of this operating method on the Isle of Man, a similar proposal for Quarterbridge crossing was not progressed before the Peel Line closed.
The stone-built Ballasalla Water Tower.
Dating from 1911, itt is the only 'original' water tower in operation on the steam railway today.
A similar water tower at Castletown was demolished in 1981 and a larger version sited at Port Erin was demolished in 1986. Both those locations have 'modern' era replacements.
The stone-built Gatekeeper's Hut at Four Roads, Port St Mary.
Dating from the 1880's and replacing an earlier wooden hut, this is one of only two stone-built gatekeeper's huts remaining in original 'as-built' condition (the other being at The Level) and in a good state of repair. On-site restoration work was undertaken by the Supporters' Association in 2013.