Heritage Conservation & Interpretation Projects
Over the past three decades, the Supporters' Association has undertaken directly or supported financially a significant number of heritage conservation and interpretation projects on the Isle of Man Railway, including: 

1994        Cosmetic restoration of Engine No.6 PEVERIL
1995        New side tanks for Engine No.15 CALEDONIA
1998        Rebuild of 2-plank Ballast Wagon M.78
2000        New replica 3-plank Open Wagon H.1
2001        New boiler & water injectors for Engine No.4 LOCH
2003        New water injectors for Engine No.13 KISSACK
2006        New water injectors for Engine No.15 CALEDONIA
2007        Feasibility Study for restoration of ex-CDRJC Railcars
2009        New Seat Moquette for Saloon Carriage F.29
2009        Booklet Publication - IMR Travellers’ Companion
2010        New boiler tubes for Engine No.4 LOCH
2012        Reconstruction of Slotted Post Semaphore Signal at Castletown
2012-15   Protected Building Registration Proposals for 11 Railway Stations & Lineside Structures
2013        Restoration of The Level & Four Roads Crossing Houses
2013        Peel Line '140'  - Display of Railwayana & Ephemera
2014-17   Restoration of Mill Road Crossing Gate Hut
2014        South Line '140' - New Information Panels
2014-15   Part Refurbishment of Port Erin Railway Museum
2015        Knockaloe Branch '100' - New Interpretative Display
2016        Douglas Workshops '125' - New Interpretative Display
2016        New replica Station Name "Running-In" Board at Union Mills station site
2016        New replica Station Name "Running-In" Board at Peel station site
2017        Display of IMR Railwayana - House of Manannan, Peel

Our current Heritage Projects:

Mill Road Crossing Gate Hut: Nearing completion is the full restoration of the 1874-built crossing gate hut at Mill Road, just to the south of Castletown Station. The wooden shelter is one of the few remaining lineside structures on the railway which date from the opening of the South Line.  As part of the project, a new concrete foundation pad was cast in situ trackside, ready to accommodate the restored crossing hut which was returned to the steam railway at the beginning of March 2017. We are very grateful for the support given to this project by Culture Vannin and Greenfields Joinery.  

Prior to removal (2013)

140 years of wear and tear (2014)

New hardwood frame in place (2015)
Matching the new with the old - Front View (2016)

Matching the new with the old - Rear View (2016)

New concrete plinth cast in situ (2016)


Stripped, primed and undercoated (2016)

Returned to Railway (Mar 2017)

Project kindly supported by

"No.1 returns to Peel" - a display of historical steam railway objects:   A selection of historic locomotive fittings and other artefacts from the steam railway has been put together by the Supporters' Association for Manx National Heritage to exhibit at the House of Manannan in Peel. The centrepiece of the display is the chimney off 1873-built locomotive No.1 'Sutherland', kindly loaned by Isle of Man Railways, accompanied by brassware, lamps and other period items. The exhibition is on display in the foyer of the House of Manannan from now until November 2017.


Project kindly supported by