Workshops & Running Shed : 125th Anniversary
One of the Isle of Man Railway ‘milestones’ celebrated in 2016 was the 125th anniversary of the ‘new’ workshops and running shed, dating in large part from 1891 and built to a design by the Railway Company’s then chief engineer Henry Greenbank. Following several months of research on both archive material and the building structure, the Supporters’ Association produced a new interpretative display on the history, layout and function of the Workshops & Steam Shed.
The display comprises an interpretative panel with narrative, historical photographs and layout diagram, back-dropping the superb 4mm scale diorama made by member Robin G. Winter which was permanently loaned to the Association in 2015. A number of 4mm scale locomotives and wagons built by Robin are also on loan for the exhibit. The display was exhibited at the Ronaldsway Airport Lounge, House of Manannan in Peel and Warley National Model Railway Exhibition in Birmingham during 2016. It now resides in the Railway Museum shop in Port Erin.