Mill Road Crossing Gate Hut
The preservation and restoration of historical lineside structures and other heritage objects on the steam railway which are no longer considered to be of operational value is an area where the third sector (charitable organisations and volunteers) can make a meaningful difference with financial support and additional human resource.
Completed in 2018 was the full restoration by the Association of the 1874-built crossing gate hut at Mill Road, just to the south of Castletown Station. The wooden shelter is one of the few remaining lineside structures on the railway which date from the opening of the South Line. As part of the project, a new concrete foundation pad was cast in situ trackside, ready to accommodate the restored crossing hut which was returned to the steam railway at the beginning of March 2017.
We are very grateful for the support given to this project by Culture Vannin and Greenfields Joinery.
Prior to removal (2013)
140 years of wear and tear (2014)
New hardwood frame in place (2015)
Matching the new with the old - Front View (2016)
Matching the new with the old - Rear View (2016)
New concrete plinth cast in situ (2016)