No.10 G.H. Wood

Fleet No.:


Weight :


Wheel Arr.:


Works Number:

Last Operated 


Name Origin:


Wheel Dia.:


G.H. Wood

19 Tons, 10cwt



Beyer, Peacock 


September 2017

1,013,997 (@1964)

Co. Director

11 x 18

3 9

No.10 G.H.Wood was the first of two purchases in 1905, the other being No.11 Maitland; these were the first of the medium boiler locomotives and were both named after Railway Company officials, No. 10 after the company secretary and director George Henry Wood, who arranged for posed for photographs in front his namesake.  As the first of the larger class of locomotives on the line, it was a regular performer and rarely out of service apart from to receive maintenance and its two new boilers, in 1926 and 1946, both supplied new from Beyer, Peacock & Co.  The locomotive remained in regular use throughout the Ailsa Years when it was painted into the Spring Green livery, but was withdrawn in 1977 with defective boiler, latterly being only on light duties.  It was last used to draw No.9 Douglas from the carriage shed at Douglas Station in 1977 to launch the appeal by the Association for the latter's proposed return to service which never came to fruition.  It had been hoped to repair the boiler and it was stripped to commence this work, but ultimately  the boiler was fond to be beyond economic repair and the frames remained in store, the tanks being scrapped.

In 1992 it had been planned to overhaul the recently withdrawn No.13 Kissack but the decision was taken to recondition the boiler and overhaul No.10 instead; to this end the locomotive was launched as part of the 1993 Year Of Railways in the Brunswick Green livery with black lining edged in vermilion.   This was quite dark to the eye and a repaint in 1997 saw the lining changed to "straw" (yellow) with a pleasing effect.  Reverting to the post-war Indian Red scheme in 2000 when the entire fleet was similarly treated, Spring Green was re-applied in 2007 to mark the fortieth anniversary of Lord Ailsas regime.  Together with No.12 Hutchinson they are the only service locos to not carry chimney numerals. It featured in the movie Five Children & It. The boiler certificate expired in August 2017, making an appropriate final appearance for the 50th anniversary celebrations.  April 2018 saw commencement of a major overhaul with the boiler at the Severan Valley Railwayand the frames to Alan Keef Ltd., in October 2020.  The locomotive is expected to return to the railway in late 2023.

June 1994

Keristal Summit

December 2012

School Hill Halt

July 1963

Peel Station

August 2009

Castletown Station


Banking At Douglas Station

April 1997

Pumphouse Curve