All-Thirds Carriage F.48
One of two all-thirds carriages supplied by the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Co., Ltd., of Saltley Works in Birmingham in 1923 and rarely out of use since delivery, together with sister F.47 these carriages represent the backbone of the service fleet and are commonly used on the Douglas-based train set with the other Large F carriages. Comprising six third class compartments and capable of accommodating up to 48 passengers, it is scheduled for a full repaint in 2024, when it will be outshopped in the post-war red and cream livery carrying Ailsa Era crests with a green No.16 Mannin to eventually make up a set of carriages representing this era to go with No.11 Maitland. Prior to 1967 carriages did not carry any crests after the war.
Above: as it appears in traffic today, F.48 wears the familiar post-war red and cream colour scheme and consists of six identical third class compartmentwith no class designations on the doors, common for the period represented. The roof-mounted torpedo vents illustrated here were removed many years ago but remain in storage in the workshops at Douglas Station.