“Pairs” Carriage F.68

Purchased as two four-wheel carriages in 1873 from the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Co., Ltd., of Saltley Works in Birmingham and later allocated fleet numbers A.9 and C.13, by 1881 these two carriages had become close coupled and were later mnounted on a new steel underframe, again supplied by the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Co., Ltd., in 1909 to become F.68.  The carriage in this form survived in service until 1964 when it was withdrawn and stored in the carriage shed at St. John's; returning to periodic traffic at busy times until 1974, it was sold the following year to the Phyllis Rampton Charitable Trust and removed from the island where it remains today.

Fleet No.:






F.68 (A.9 & C.13)


Paired 1909

7’ 0”


Sold 1975 

F.68 in the yard at Douglas Station in August 1974 when it was still in periodic use and carrying the standard red and cream livery.