Brake Composite F.6

Last bogie carriage of an order of six from Brown, Marshall & Co., Ltd., of Birmingham from 1876 and surviving in traffic until 1965, stored in the carriage shed at Douglas Station until the end of the 1971 season when it was moved to St. John's for storage the following winter.  Having retained its wooden brake blocks is was not favoured and surplus to operational requirements following the closure of the Peel and Ramsey lines.  It was sold in 1975 to the Phyllis Rampton Charitable Trust and removed from the island where it remains in storage, the lowest numbered carriage to survive.

Fleet No.:









Brown, Marshall

35’ 0” 

7’ 0” 

9’ 4” 


F.6 at Douglas Station outside the old carriage shed in September 1965 with the standard post-war red and cream livery, note the third class doors labelled.

F.6 at Peel Station showing the first class door designations and wider panelling between the compartments to good effect.

Purple lake livery with off-white upper panels at St. John's Station in July 1939, the panels between compartments particularly stand out in this scheme.

F.6 on Road One at Douglas Station in storage but ready for use at this stage designated as a spare carrraige in case of need, August 1968