Santon Station

Station Name:

Date Opened:

Date(s) Closed:

Lines Served:


From Douglas:

Current Status:


2nd August 1874

26th May 1958

Port Erin


5 Miles, 50 Chains

Season (Request)

This was established as a crossing point from the opening of the south line in 1874, originally considered to be named as Ballavale, the current name instead being opted for.  Furnished with a standard third class timber structure which remains extant today, similar examples were also provided at both Ballasalla Station and Colby Station.  It is the sole surviving example today, largely unchanged, though unfortunately blighted with fairy lights in recent times.

A passing loop was provided and remains today, being the only to have "Y" configured points, a feature retained today; a manure siding shielded from public view by and advertisement hoarding also featured, this siding today is used to accommodate permanent way stock, the fire train and, at Christmas, the saloons for serving refreshments, the station serves as the terminus of the Santa Express trains.  The loop is used to pass dining trains regularly in season.

A water tower was provided here on stilts during the short line workings of 2001-2002 when it served as temporary terminus, half-height platforms also being added around this time, the only significant change to the appearance of the original site.  This was replaced in December 2022 in the same construction style.  New lamp standards were also added to the down platform at this time for use in conjunction with Santa Express trains which operate after dark.

Passing Loop / Station Building / Siding / Water Tower

February 2019 and the station out of season with its original structure dating from the line's earliest days, a remarkable survivor.

A quiet time between trains shortly after the introduction of half-height platforms at the stations, the icon palm trees complete the scene.

No.13 Kissack passing through the station with a southbound train in the summer of 1982 using the landward side of the loop.

Back in 1993 the station looked much as it had done when built, originally considered to be named Ballavale at the time.

The station platform and running in board uin 2006, the base on which this stands was built to home a grounded brake van body.

M.N.Ry. No.4 Caledonia with a Manx Northern Railway recreation train posed at the station during the 2014 Rush Hour weekend.

Following a repaint by the now-defunct Isle of Man Railway Society in 1982, the scene was little altered for many years.

Approaching from the south with contractors' locomotive on the siding showing the ballast dump at the station.

No.22 stowed on the former manure re siding on fire train duty in the summer of 2022; this unit is commonly stored here in summer.