Braddan Station

Station Name:

Date Opened:

Date(s) Closed:

Lines Served:


Postal Address:

From Douglas:

Current Status:

Braddan / Kirk Braddan

1st May 1897

8th September 1968

Peel / Ramsey

54°09’41” N 4°30’21”W 

Douglas-Peel Road, 

1 Mile, 40 Chains

Closed & Lifted

Request stop on the Peel Line established to serve the local community and primarily the hugely popular open-air church services at the nearby Kirk Braddan Church, for which the railway regularly operated long special trains.  The station was only manned when these specials were operated and was equipped with a small timber hut to accommodate a booking office with a corrugated iron roof; the platform consisted of a long gravelled area, carriages being accessed from ground level via two steps; in 1963 the Queen Mother boarded a special train here headed by No.11 Maitland and using saloon F.36, which thereafter became known as the Royal Saloon.

The structure remained in place long after the railway had closed and was removed in 1985, being replaced with a modern alternative, and taken back to Douglas Station where it was restored and modified, later being installedat Colby Station on the south line where it remains today; at this time the front panelling, doors and windows were removed to make it an open-fronted shelter.  The previous building at Colby Station, similar to that which remains at Santon Station today, was removed in 1980.  Today the site is part of the T.T. access road and has had a macadam surface since 1988; the bridge under which the railway passed carries the mountain course and is still a landmark today.

Booking Office / Ground Plaform

Looking west with a long train for one of the Sunday Specials in July 1933; the halt was frequently used for these services.

The diesel railcars at the station showing the extent of facilities; the hut pictured is now located at Colhy Station on the South Line.

The diesel railcars passing in September 1964 viewed from the overbridge which forms part of the famous T.T. course.

Busy times in August 1962 with a Sunday Special using the saloon carriages showing how popular these trains were.

Braddan Station in May 1961 with a mixed train passing through, again from the vantage point of the overbridge.

July 1962 showing the roadside entrance to the station on Braddan Bridge with a train in the distance; this entrance remains today.