The Small F” Series : Bogie Carriages

The first of these bogie carriages were supplied in 1876 by Brown, Marshalls & Co., and later became known as the “Small Fs” owing to a lower roof profile than the later vehicles 9’ 6” tall on wooden underframes and had the frames concealed by the lower panelling of the bodies.  When the post-war red and cream livery was adopted, to match the later stock with exposed solebars a black stripe was painted along the bottom of the bodies, though when this livery was reinstated in 1999-2000 this was absent until 2013 making for an unusual appearance in trains of mixed rakes.  Click the links below to find out more on each member of this series:-