M.N.Ry. No.16 (F.37)

One of two composite carriages provided to the Manx Northern Railway by Hurst-Nelson & Co., Ltd., of Motherwell, Scotland in 1899, these were the most superior bogie stock the railway possessed.  Originally allocated the fleet number No.16 which became F.37 upon the takeover by the Railway Company in 1905, this carriage was similar in many ways to F.45 and F.46 supplied by the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Co., Ltd., of Saltley Works in Birmingham in 1913, being a composite with guards' compartment at one end, two central first class compartments with the remainder made up of three third class compartments (sister carriage F.38 was made up of six third class compartments).  The carriage can be distinguished from its Metropolitan counterparts by the different arrangement of solebars, varying beading detail, longer grab rails and more plush interiors.  They were the only stock on the island to have slam-lock door handles, akin to those used on British Railways and were lit by electricity from new, the first carriages to do so on the island.  Upon the 1905 merger it was renumbered into the large F series bogie stock and remained in regular traffic up until 1969, where it spent its final time in service as a spare carriage on the south line.  It was sold, together with F.38 and other carriages, to the Phyllis Rampton Charitable Trust in 1975 and left the island.  happily both the Hurst-Nelson carriages were repatriated by the railway in late 2022 and are currently in storage.  as delivered from their Motherwell works, Hurst-Nelson outshopped F.37 in a scheme not dissimilar to the original livery of the Isle of Man Railway rolling stock, being purple lake with off-white upper panelling and lettering decals in the upper panels.  The works photograph of this carriage shows it fitted with a roof board bearing the legend "Douglas & Ramsey", this was still displayed in the railway museum until its refurbishment of 1998/1999 after which it disappeared.  The panels between each compartment picked out in off-white also made this carriage stand out from the similar F.45 and F.46 from the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Co., Ltd.

M.N.Ry. No.

I.M.Ry. No.:












7’ 0¾” 

35’ 6”

8’ 0½ ” 

April 1950 at Douglas Station and F.37 is in the standard post-war red and cream livery; showing the ducket window arrangement.

The official 1899 works photograph prior to dispatch from Hurst-Nelson in Motherwell with the through coach Douglas & Ramsey roof board.

The official 1899 works photograph prior to dispatch from Hurst-Nelson in Motherwell with the compartment doors open.

F.37 on road one at Douglas Station in June 1968 shwoing the similarity to Metropolitan stock of the Railway Company.

In July 1967 F.37 was at St. John's Station, note the different arrangement of lookout windows in the bulkhead and section of solebars.

No.13 Kissack shunting F.37 in August 1961 at Douglas Station, showing the first class designations on the compartment doors.