Four-Wheel Carriage A.11

One of the first four-wheel carriages built for the opening of the Peel Line in 1873 by the Metropolitan Carriage &Wagon Co., Ltd., of Saltley in Birmingham, upon delivery of the first bogie carriages from Brown, Marshall & Co., Ltd., in 1874 this carriage was close-coupled with C.11 and later mounted onto a bogie underframe in 1921 to become F.74; in this form the carriage survived in traffic until the summer of 1987 when it was withdrawn in poor condition and spent time at varios locations in store including Port St. Mary Station and the former Road Services bus depot at Homefield, now demolished.  Today it remains stored off-site on the island.

Fleet Number:






A.1 (Later Paired With C.11) Thence F.74)

30 (Five Passengers Per Bench)

1873 (Paired 1921)

7’ 0”

Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Co., Ltd.

17’ 0”

F.74 (A.11 Left)

Jurby, September 2022

F.74 (A.11 Left)

Port Erin, July 1969

F.74 (Detailing)

Jurby, September 2022