Ballasalla Station

Station Name:

Date Opened:

Date(s) Closed:

Lines Served:


From Douglas:

Current Status:


1st August 1874


Port Erin


8 Miles, 30 Chains

Open Seasonally

Dating from the opening of the south line in 1874, the station here was for many years the main passing place for trains, being located in the middle of the line, half an hours' journey from either terminus.  The original structure was similar to that which remains in situ at Santon Station today, there also being a similar one at Colby Station which was removed in 1980 and later destroyed.  The version at Ballasalla was removed in 1985 to make way for car parking.

The long passing loop remains today, as does one of two sidings which originally served a busy goods yard complete with long loading platform and cattle dock.  At the southern end of the yard stands the former gateskeepers' lodge, modified in 1962 to include a tower structure housing the mechanical level crossing gates, these were removed in 2001 when the crossing was fitted with automatic barriers in common with most other crossings on the line.

A water tower was added in 1902 and this remains extant today memorably carrying the station name painted on its sides following nationalisation and lasting until 1993.  The new building on the opposide side of the tracks was opened in April 1986, being a brick structure with station masters' office, shelter and patrons toilets.  The station became unmanned from November 2015 with all services now passing at Castletown.

The Association established a Friends Of... group for the station in 2019 and it remains regularly manned by board members Mike Jones in the summer months, tending to the floral displays, repairing platform furniture and generally keeping the site tidy.  The Association repainted the station in 2020 and provided additional directional signage, today it remains a popular station for passengers visiting the nearby Rushen Abbey and Silverdale Glen.

The station is used as a drop-off point for various events including the Teddy Bears' Picnic and island tours of the closed lines by bus during the annual transport festivals, though it has not been used to pass trains since 2015, the up loop having been locked out of use since this time, apart from the odd fire train stowed there.  Most recently the station was used as the destination for the Dino Express in April of 2023.

Station Building / Two Platforms / Water Tower / Level Crossing / Gatekeepers' Lodge / One Siding

The replacement station building from 1985 which is now tended by the Friends Of... group organised by the Association. July 2022.

A once typical scene of trains passing at the station, the mid-way point on the south line; the station became unmanned in 2015.

the original station building which was removed to make way for a car park in 1985, and replaced the following year.

Festive lighting around the station supplied by the Association in December 2022, the seasonal dining trains pass here regularly.

The station out of season in February 2019 with its modern building and full height platform complete with traditional picket fencing.

Showing the substantial loading dock and timber hut relocated from the former internment camp at Knockaloe Farm.

No.4 Loch makes her departure in the summer of 1987 passing the water tower, lettered with the station name latterly,

The original station with a train approaching from the south, showing the wooden hut formerly at Knockaloe Camp.

After snowfall at the station in December 2018; the near platform has been closed since the station became unmanned in November 2015.

Trains passing here was once a common sight, here is No.11 Maitland crossing the northbound service in 1974.

No.13 Kissack on banking duty, having uncoupled from her own train to the right, a typical move of the time.

No.4 Loch with a northbound train in July 1970 at the station, with the original building and iconic red and white running in board.