No.16 Mannin

Fleet No.:




Wheel Arr.t:


Works Number:

Last Operated:


Name Origin:


Wheel Dia.:



20 Tons, 25cwt



Beyer, Peacock 


August 1964


Name For Island



No.16 Mannin was the last locomotive to be supplied by Beyer, Peacock & Co. and was by far the most powerful locomotive on the railway.  Ideal for the heavy south boat trains, a job which had previously taken two locomotives either double-headed or banked.  It was considerably larger than previous orders with a 3'6" diameter boiler, large tanks with a capacity of 520 gallons each, higher pressure and 12" bore cylinders. It was also the only locomotive to be fitted with vacuum ejectors from new and steam sanding equipment.  Spending the majority of its working life on the south line it saw little use outside the main holiday season Never re-boilered it was relegated to lighter duties on the Peel Line latterly, with reduced pressure and lasting until 1964 with it was withdrawn and stored.

Repainted into the new Spring Green livery and displayed at St John's in 1967 and 1967, on closure of the Peel and Ramsey lines it was and later on show at Douglas Stations until entering the then-new railway museum in 1975 when it was repainted into the post-war Indian Red livery without lining detail, funded by the Association.  Only removed from the museum once when the exhibition hall was rebuilt 1998/1999, it was at this time that the lining was finally applied. Plinthed on an isolated section of track on return to the museum, and turned for visuall impact, it was removed again in 2019 when it was announced that it had been selected for restoration to working order, the initial plan being for an unveiling as part of the 150th anniversary celebrations in 2023.  In the event this did not occur though the boiler was taken to the Seven Valley Railway and the rest of the locomotive moved to off-site contractors to play with.  To date there has been no final decision on a return to service though many in the enthusiast fraternity are keen for this.

May 1929 and still largely unaltered and carrying brass chimney numerals outside the workshops at Douglas Station while work is carried out on the roof of the carraige at the rear.

By August 1955 the chimney numerals had long since been lost when this view was captured at Douglas Station, what appears to be an unlined version of the livery.

September 1926 shortly after delivery at Douglas Station with the burnished smokebox hinges, chimney numerals and wearing the dark green livery of the era.

By July 1968 the locomotive had been repainted by the Association for display purposes, seen here in the new spring green livery at St. John's Station as part of the line up display.

Castletown Station arrival in 1959 passing the once busy goods yard on the right; this station largely retains its original layout today, the rear siding having been shortened in 1994.

No.16 heads south crossing the Silverburn Bridge outside Castletown Station in August 1955 passing the frame which once carried a water tank fed from the river below.

July 1973 during the centenary celebrations for the Peel Line displayed at Douglas Station in the green livery applied in 1968.  Her appearance markedly different to other locomotives.

In her final days in traffic, No.16 could be found mostly on the Peel Line, as here June 1964 shortly before withdrawal at Peel Station, the iconic castle providing a scenic backdrop.

In July 1961 No.16 is seen north of St. John's with a train headed for Peel Station; the unkempt appearance of No.16 at this time is clearly evidne,t the Indian Red looking quite dark.

In March 1996 the brass dome cover had been removed for winter storage in the Railway Museum, shorly afterwards a new shop area was constructed infront of No.16 obstructing thr view.

In November 2019 outside the carriage shed at Port Erin Station prior to being taken away from the railway for "investigative" work to take place for a proposed return to service.

A busy scene from August 1958 with one of the hugely popular Sunday Service trains at Braddan Station, using a rake of the 1905 saloon carriages.