“Pairs” Carriage F.62
Paired in 1912 using a new bogie underframe from the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Co., Ltd., of Saltley in Birmingham using the bodies from 1873 four-wheel carriages A.1 and B.1, in this form the carriage remained in regular traffic until the summer of 1987 after which it was withdrawn in poor condition together with several others of the series; it then entered storage, initially in the old carriage shed at Douglas Station until this was demolished in 1999, after which it spent a number of years stored on a new spur to the side of the new carriage shed before being moved to Port Erin in 2008; moved annually to Port St. Mary and stowed in the siding each T.T. week to allow the saloon carriages to be stored at Port Erin overnight, it was taken back to Douglas in February 2020 and later left the island for restoration by Stanegate Restoration, from where it returned completed in March 2021 and re-entered traffic. Today it sees regular use as part of the main fleet.
Seen in July 1933 at Port Erin Station showing the gap between the original four-wheel carriages and how they initially appeared.
Shortly after re-entering traffic following restoration, F.62 seen outside for the first time with the original four-wheel numbers showing.
Shortly after re-entering traffic following restoration, F.62 seen in May 2022 at Castletown Station on a northbound train.
F.62 back in traffic in August 2022 paused at Port St. Mary Station before the final few minutes' trip to the terminus at Port Erin.
May 2022 showing the restored first class interior at Port Erin Station shortly after returning to traffic for the first time since 1987.
One of the excellent examples of attention to detail in the restored carriage are the replica worksplates in each of the compartments.