The Level / Yn Laare
19th May 1928
4th March 1930
54°05’ 29”N 4°43’16”W
Croit-E-Caley Road, Rushen
13 Miles, 14 Chains
Seasonal (Request Stop)
Above: the former crossing keepers' lodge has been restored by the Supporters' Association twice, in 2012 and 2021, the second of which saw it changed from the traditional green scheme to a more bold maroon livery. The crossing was automated in 2001 and the lodge has been used for storage since this time.
Established as a level crossing in 1877 at which time the current stone lodge was constructed to a similar design to that seen elsewhere on both the Peel and south lines, this diminutive site has been classified as a request stop at various times throughout its history and borne a number of names. The locale of the area is believed to be the origin of the name, being connected with levels of mine workings at the nearby Rushen Mines.
It has variously been referred to as The Level, Level (Rushen), Colby Level and less so Croit-E-Caley. When work was carried out by the Association in 2012 a conscious effort was made to standardise the name to The Level, primarily to avoid confusion with Colby Station itself and because geographically the station simply is not in Colby! The building on the opposite side, much modified in more recent times, was built as the crossing keepers’ house.
This structure went into private ownership in 1975 and has been much extended since this time. The current occupiers are great supporters of the railway and assist the Association with their floral displays each summer. The word Colby having no Manx translation, the new running in board which appeared from 2008 in both languages simply stated it as The Level, with Yn Laare being the Manx translation above
The bilingual signage has been retained on subsequent signage provided by the Association as part of their dedicated upkeep to the site. When initial work was carried out all references to the word Colby were removed from the site so that today it has simply one name. It was used for many years by a local garage just yards up the road, who transported smaller car components such as exhaust pipes by rail.
This made it one of the last stopping places to nominally still operate a freight service. The crossing was manned by a dedicated gatekeeper until the gates were removed and automatic barriers installed in 2001, though it still remains a request stop each season, note specifically listed in the schedules of each timetable, rather as a footnote together with Santon, Ronaldsway Halt and Ballabeg in more recent times.
The half-height platform, installed at the same time as the crossing was automated, it is the shortest on the railway being only one carriage-length and requiring some skill between the locomotive drive and guard to stop in the correct position. Passengers are often asked to sit towards the rear of the train if they wish to alight for this reason. The platform was installd at the request of retired clergyman Rev. Denis Baggeley who frequenly used the trains.
Crossing Lodge | Level Crossing | Half-Height Platform | Floral Displays | Request Stop
Shortly after automation of the level crossing also showing the short platform capable of accomodating one carriage, July 2001.
A quiet time between trains in July 2022 shortly after completion of renovation works by Association volunteers.
The crossing lodge with colourful flower pots in August 2022; these were provided by the Association as an ongoing project.