“Pairs” Carriage F.74
Purchased as two four-wheel carriages in 1873 from the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Co., Ltd., of Saltley Works in Birmingham and later allocated fleet numbers A.11 & C.11, by 1882 these two carriages had become close coupled and were later mounted on a new steel underframe, again supplied by the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Co., Ltd., in 1921 to become F.74. It is one of very few “pairs” to retain a lookout window in one end bulkhead as illustrated in the photograph below, at the Douglas end.
It was one of several “pairs” to be repainted into the all-over maroon scheme following nationalisation. The carriage in this form survived in service until 1987 when it was withdrawn and moved into storage in the old carriage shed at Douglas Station. When this was demolished in 1999 to make way for the Banks Circus office complex and bus depot, it was stored at various locations including the goods yard at Port St. Mary, Homefield Bus Garage and is currently in a hangar at Jurby Airfield.
F.74 in storage at Jurby Airfield showing the final livery carried in traffic, the nationalisation all-over maroon scheme.
Yellow stick-on plastic fleet lettering on F.74 in storage at Jurby Airfield showing detail of the panelling between A.11 and C.11.