Four-Wheel Carriage A.9

One of the first four-wheel carriages built for the opening of the Peel Line in 1873 by the Metropolitan Carriage &Wagon Co., Ltd., of Saltley in Birmingham, upon delivery of the first bogie carriages from Brown, Marshall & Co., Ltd., in 1874 this carriage was close-coupled with C.13 and later mounted onto a bogie underframe in 1909 to become F.68; the underframes of the four-wheeler were re-used and became Fish Wagon No.1.  As a "pairs" carriage F.68 survived out of useed after 1974 and was sold in 1975 to the Phyllis Rampton Charitable Trust where it remains part of this private collection off-island.

Fleet Number:






A.9 (Later Paired With C.13) Thence F.68)

30 (Five Passengers Per Bench)

1873 (Paired 1909)

7’ 0”

Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Co., Ltd.

17’ 0”

F.68 (A.9 Right)

Douglas, July 1969

F.68 (A.9 Right)

Douglas, September 1974