“Pairs” Carriage F.69

Purchased as two four-wheel carriages in 1873 from the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Co., Ltd., of Saltley Works in Birmingham and later allocated fleet numbers B.4 and B.17, by 1882 these two carriages had become close coupled and were later mnounted on a new steel underframe, again supplied by the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Co., Ltd., in 1923 to become F.69.  The carriage in this form survived in service until 1962 when it was withdrawn, having latterly been used almost exclusively on the schools trains and retaining the utility brown/red livery.  In 1969 it was relocated to Castletown Station where the bodies were removed and placed on the former cattle loading dock, the underframes seeing use as a runner for some time.  In August 1969 the carriage bodies were destroyed by controlled fire in situ at the station.

Fleet No.:






F.69 (B.4 & B.17)


Paired 1923

7’ 0”



A plain red livery seen in May 1966 at Douglas Station when F.69 was in open storage; it would not be used in traffic again.