Port Erin Station
1st August 1874
15th November 1965
15 Miles, 70 Chains
The current station building is the second incarnation and was constructed by local builders McArds in 1902 to replace the smaller original which was to the same design as that which remains at Castletown Station today, only built from local slate rather than limestone; it stands on the same site as the original and is constructed of Ruabon brick. In addition to this, there is a dedicated locomotive shed adjacent and goods shed of similar design which today houses the entrance to the railway museum and souvenir shop. The museum building was reconstructed on the site of the original in 1998, the original being the former Isle of Man Road Services garage which was vacated to create the museum, a new one being built in its place further up the yard which remains extant. The original water tower was demolished in 1986 (ironically declared as Heritage Year on the island), when the goods shed also became the locomotive shed. It would not be until 1998 that a replacement stone-clad structure took its place. Beside the original was an advertisement hoarding.
At its full extent the remaining platform had two faces, the inner being being part of the bay platform which had a run-round loop and further siding to the side. The so-called Birkenhead siding on the Athol Park side completed the station environs, with Droghadfayle Road level crossing at the throat, automated in 2011 and previously manned. Rationalisation of the layout began with the new bus depot in 1975 when the three bay roads were lifted, later creating a dedicated bus compound. The locomotive shed was vacated in 1986, being moved into the goods shed with the idea of extending the museum into the former locomotive shed. No.8 Fenella and No.9 Douglas were housed here at the time but ultimately the idea never reached fruition, although the shed through from the main museum was occasionally open. The station features a bilingual running in board (Purt Çhiarn) on the side of the locomotive shed and until 2008 was the only station to have this feature.
The long arrival platform retains a slight dip in the middle, as there remains a public right of way into Athol Park which bisects the platform, this has appeared in an edition of Ripley's Believe It Or Not as an oddity, trains being split to allow pedestrian access. The station was refurbished to an Edwardian appearance and won a prestigious Ian Allan Heritage Award for this work in 1990, presented to stationmaster Bob Western by Sir Bob Reid of British Rail. Further modifications followed in 2014 when the "plaza" regeneration scheme was completed; this saw the end of the platform removed and replaced with curved track and a pedestrian slope directly to the museum entrance installed. The Whistle Stop Coffee Shop has been a feature in more recent times, in the former porters' room at the station.
The toilet block was partially demolished as part of the regeneration work, with new smaller toilet facilities also included. These works also saw the miasma tower reinstated atop the building complete with weathervane, and a new section of wraparound canopy extending to the roadside. The former Road Services office, which had also served as Quilters' Halt shop, the Port Erin Gaslight & Aerated Water Company and the R.N.L.I. charity shop, was also demolished at this time making for a larger open area on the roadside. It is in this form that the station remains today, the waiting room now largely given over to the coffee shop but retaining displays, though the true Edwardian feel of the building has been lost since the last internal refit.
Station Building / Locomotive Shed / Goods Shed (Shop) / Carriage Shed / Water Tower / Two Platforms / Bay Platform
The platform side frontage of the station in July 2020, the left-hand portion of the building is home to the Whistle Stop Coffee Shop.
No.4 Loch between duties and the iconic bilingual running-in board on the locomotive shed in September 2022
A little changed scene over the years with a train at the main platform; the area to the right is now a bus compound.
No.4 Loch departing with the site of the former bay platform on the right; July 1979, note the spare carriage on the Birkenhead Siding.
The former goods shed and museum shop in August of 2021 also showing regeneration works on Station Road.
The restored booking hall which houses the station masters' office and ticket hatch, and the entrance onto Station Road.
An early view of the replacement station building c.1910 showing a train at the bay platform and the extent of the yard.
The station building and bay platform in June 1962 showing the Road Services office on the right which later served as a shop.
The replacement water tower which replaced the original, demolished in 1986, but the replacement not arriving until 1998.