M.N.Ry. Carriage No.5 (N.44)
Supplied with a guards’ compartment at the northern end and three open third class compartments with no dividers, this arrangement was modified in 1881 so that each of the compartments were separated; the layout was again changed in 1904 removing the guards’ compartment, later reverting to its original configuration by 1932. It was noted by James Boyd as being “partially scrapped” prior to 1965, and as retaining its original interior when destroyed by controlled fire in the summer of 1972 at Douglas Station.
Above: as supplied M.N.Ry. No.5 was fitted with a guards' compartment at the northern end with five third class compartments, the shared large window was not a feature of the central compartments as the illustration here shows, as does the accompanying image of the carriage in its latter days below; the livery here is entirely conjectural, the lettering and fleet decals on the vehicle are likely as they appeared but the drop-shadow and off-white panels has no historical proof. The early livery of varnished teak gave way to purple lake/brown relatively early.